Steinway

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:07:33 -0400

Terry,
For what it's worth, Steinway's own sales pitch includes a statement of fact
which says Steinways, on the average since they began production in the
1800's, have averaged an increase(in their retail price) of 7% per year. You
could do the math if a piano cost $1,000 in 1900, figured with the 7% annual
inflationary rate x 101 years, would roughly equal the amount say a Steinway
0 would sell for today. The used market always has maintained a parallel
ratio with that of the current retail price. That fact appears to follow the
numbers.
Is the term "investment" mis-leading...you betch ya!
I personally have a problem with the reckless use of "investment" in many
advertisements, including Steinway pianos.  It's a term, unfortunately, that
marketing has proven that connects with the customer, no matter how
miss-leading in actuality it is.
However in the case of Steinway, and this is where you have to give credit
where credit is due, they have the numbers to back up their statement...or
maybe its the way they present the facts.  At any rate, Steinway has
maintained an almost methodical image of strength,genius, and yes,
investment in the public's eye....all which ( in some way or another) could
be argued until the cows come home. That being said, Steinway was
instrumental in started the whole marketing hype of piano manufacturing
genius, and have been able to ride on their coat tails until this very day.
Overall, Steinway is a small company that has had a huge role in the musical
history of the world and the fact that their instruments still continue to
grow impressively in value is note-worthy.
I have scratched my balding head many of times while admiring the incredible
workmanship of a Mason & Hamlin A...and the tone. Ooooh! But yet, no matter
how well the instrument sounds and plays, it never will gain the public
respect in maintaining, or even keep up with the value of a Steinway.
Go figure!
Tom Servinsky,RPT