Steinway

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:19:16 EDT

In a message dated 26/07/01 6:00:02 PM, drose@dlcwest.com writes:

<< They are referring to Steinway suggesting that a piano will appreciate
significantly in value. I.e. A piano purchased 25 years ago would almost
certainly cost much more to replace with a new piano. Therefore (in theory)
the "used" piano is an "investment" as it might sell for more than you
orginally paid for it. >>

Don;
 Well 'if' that is what all the "unethical" talk is about then S&S 'does'
have a point. It is rather routine for current rebuilding costs, and value,
to be more than the amount paid for an S&S originaly. An example of this is
the first S&S model M that I ever sold........ the purchase price, brand new,
was 3,200 dollars and I would gladly give that couple (they still have the
piano) almost three times what they paid for it back then........ Does this
constitute an "investment"???? Inflation???  Makes no difference really
though as any ole S&S would generally be worth more at any given age than
most, if not all, competitive makes. "Invest" in an S&S to make money?? Well
I wouldn't suggest it........... but over the long term you would certainly
lose less than with some competitive brands.

 I would be interested in 'specifics' as to these "unethical" practices by
S&S. Short of 'specifics' I would rather think this sort of stuff ought to be
in private and not on the list.........but that is just my opinion.
Jim Bryant (FL)