Wet and Wild Steinway

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:19:01 -0500

Hi Paul,

Valid concerns, I'd say. Steinway has, for most of recorded history,
presented themselves as the de facto standard for the rest of the industry.
The fact that virtually all of the uneducated public, and what appears to
be most of the technical community accepts this without question or qualm
is what we're up against here, regardless of any body of evidence to the
contrary regarding such pesky criteria as performance and value for the
money. Assuming that this is a reasonably accurate assessment of the status
quo, rather than the random ravings of yet another unenlightened soul not
getting what he thinks is his due, using the S&S rebuilding facility as a
price benchmark serves quite admirably as an unquestionably authoritative
validation of the new price increases we all have coming (since it's
universally agreed that we work too cheap for the magic we produce). No
matter how many wretched killer octaves, honking low tenors, dinking
trebles, and flat soundboards folks encounter in these pianos, the
entrenched mystique will carry the day and these defects will become
features before the ink even dries on the marketing copy. They barely even
have to try anymore, so why shouldn't we take some advantage of a
psychological aberration we couldn't correct if we lived forever, and use
it to put a few more bucks in our own pockets? We are underpaid, after
all... or did I just imagine I heard that somewhere?

Wanna buy a duck?

Ron N