Steinway D value

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:30:57 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/01 3:08:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
BobDavis88@AOL.COM writes:

> I have a client who needs a value for a 1970's Steinway D. Case, soundboard,
> bridges excellent. Original teflon action in very good condition, regulated
> and voiced.

I brokered a same vintage D 2 years ago. It sold for $25,000. The customer
started out at $45,000, rejected several $30,000 offers, before settling on
$25,000, when she realized that was all she was going to get.

The main problem was the Teflon action. The buyer was very savvy, and knew
what he was talking about, even though he didn't play, (his wife did). He had
done his research and knew the about the Teflon problems. He also knew it
would cost $5 -- 6K to replace the action, hence his low price. If the action
had the non Teflon parts, he probably would have paid another $10,000.

Wim