Chicago convention naming (was timing)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:36:09 EDT

Here we go again.  When I saw Avery call the PTG Annual Convention, The
National" in a post, I wrote a private message to him explaining how I
thought this to be inappropriate.  The response was incredible.  I "hurt" his
feelings.  I made him feel bad about something he had been feeling good about.

Now comes the "you better watch out cuz you know who *jumped* on me about
that".  Then, the "I joined this list because...and I don't like reading...",
back and forth, squabble, squabble.

I never have seen eye to eye with Susan Kline.  Virtually anything I have
ever said she can take and twist around and get really steamed about, coming
up with all sorts of imagined tangents I could have never thought of myself.
 I'm afraid that Avery, a younger technician wanting to be accepted by his
peers, fell under the influence of the good ol' boys club that used to
dominate this List with wise cracks, badmouthing of all the "PSO's" that are
out there, one liners and off topic subjects.

In short, it's "cool" to call the PTG Annual Convention "The National"
because that is what all the old cronies say.  If reminded that the word
"national" is an adjective, not a noun and that it is really an
*international* event, that there is only one Convention per year, all the
others are Regional Seminars which are not necessarily annual either, it only
serves to disturb and inflame those who insist upon using the old crony
jargon (especially if they are *new* members of the old crony clique).

Yes, it's "cool" and the "in thing" to do to go around calling every piano a
"PSO" and say things like "See ya at the National" and cuss at those who
point out what the facts really are and how not everyone who reads this list
is an old crony nor would want to be a part of such a clique.  I have never
joined cliques, if anything, I started my own.  So, I will, in good
conscience, continue to refer to the PTG Annual Convention with its official
title, sometimes abbreviating it to "Annual Convention" or simply
"Convention" and will refer to Regional Seminars with the proper word usage
too because to use Avery's terms, "I do give a s*** about it."

I'd agree with Susan about one thing however, there is another List for those
who wish to think and behave in this way.  It was created for that purpose
and should be used for it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin