bosendorfer research

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 06:10:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Dwight,

I noticed your "two part" question.  Could that be
related in any way to the habititual mixing of two
parts in polyester repair??  (Just poking fun,
honest!)  :-)

Welcome!

You wrote:
> 1)  has anyone ever experienced loss of crown as a
> result of a minor
> dropping of a piano?

Sounds a little suspicious to me.  Regardless of
whether it's rib crowned or compression crowned, I
can't see how a "bump" would actually cause the crown
to up and leave.

I did wonder what made anyone go looking for a problem
with the crown in the first place.  Was the tone weak?
 Sustain short?  Could the soundboard have come loose
from the rim somewhere?  That might make differences
in the sound.

You did mention that this is an "Imperial" grand which
made me think that even with a small "bump", (lots of
mass in that plate), it might be possible that the
plate could have shifted a bit.  And if that happened,
that could have changed things a bit too.

The only other thing I can think of in relation to
losing crown is ribs coming loose from the soundboard
(which should be obvious) or, in the case of a
compression crowned board, the board being compressed
to the point where it doesn't crown anymore.  I can't
see either of those coming from a "bump in the night",
even a big one.

As far as what it's worth, in the circles I've been
in, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for
it.  Carcase value to me might approach $10K.  It
might be higher or lower for others.  (Just my
uneducated oppinion.)

I would be curious to hear how this little legal
battle plays out.  If you can, keep us informed.

Take care,

Brian

=====
Brian Trout