smoke damage

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:49:22 -0700

Hi Chris,

   Funny you should ask just now. I have to evaluate a fire damaged piano
Wednesday.  We have done a number of such evaluations and several jobs for a
cleaning service, but like everything else in our line of work, each
situation is different.

   I have been able to clean and deodorize pianos that have minimal smoke
damage, have had to declare others legally dead and have a piano that came
back from rental that was in a home with cigarette smokers that I cannot get
the smell out of no matter what I have tried.

   One Yahama console was in a home that had had a fire in the laundry room.
  The owner had already had two cleaning services in to treat it and was
still affected by the odor, she was super sensitive to odors and allergens.
The only thing to do was to declare it a loss, because from her point of
view it was.  She sold it to someone who wasn't bothered by the smell and
the insurance company paid her the difference so she could buy a new one.
So------what is totaled to one person may not be to another.

   This is what keeps our jobs interesting.  We take our set of objective
facts and combine them with our customers' set of (subjective-objective?)
facts and work together with them to come up with a satisfactory answer.
Fun!  (Wednesday's job is a family heirloom, totally different situation
from yours.)

   If you still need info from Majestic, I can send you a copy, let me know.

  Diane

Diane Hofstetter
245-M Mount Hermon Rd.#343
Scotts Valley, CA 95066