Wet and Wild Steinway

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:31:04 EDT

Inre getting a quote from Steinway & Sons restoration dept:
Paul asks:
<<Why just NY, Ed? There are other quite (perhaps more) competent restorers
around?<<

      Agreed,  I know from experience that insurance companies don't question
Steinway restoration prices.  I like to use them as a baseline for deciding
what the loss is. Then, if a technician  has a good relationship with a great
restoration facility, then it is easy for them to put their reputation on the
line for the quality of the finished piano.
        The factory is not infallible, it is not the final, ultimate,
forever-ever-amen facilty to get the most out of an old piano. And with the
recent prices I saw posted in Reno, it is more expensive than any other place
I have seen.  But it is a legitimate standard to arrive at a restoration
figure.  I dunno, this has worked well for me in the past, others have better
angles on complete restoration projects?
REgards,
ED Foote RPT