harmonics vs. partials

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:18:25 -0500

I had always thought the difference between a harmonic and a partial was simply that the term "harmonic" implies a pure mathematical relationship (i.e. the 2nd harmonic of 440 is 880.0) where a partial is harmonic-like but not mathematically pure (i.e. the 2nd partial of 440 is +/- 881).

dave

On 7/23/01 at 12:35 PM Tim Hoover wrote:

>Close...the 1st partial is the fundamental, the 2nd partial is the 1st
>harmonic...etc.
>
>Tim Hoover

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net