Damper underlever assembly

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:24:06 -0500

I recently installed my first Renner damper underlever kit.  It is well=
 made and the included instructions are detailed and clear.  Installation=
 went well.  Yesterday I did a final regulation on the dampers.  I had set=
 the timing a little too early so I had to reset all the dampers.  What is=
 often a long and tedious job was finished in 20 minutes.

Keep in mind these parts incorporate some very radical concepts.  First,=
 the holes in the sockets line up with the hole in the lever.  This makes=
 damper wires go in easily and adjust precisely.  Also, the screws are made=
 in such a way that tightening them does NOT turn the wire 30 degrees!=
  Finally, the slots in the screws are crisp and well cut so that a=
 screwdriver actually stays in the screw while turning.

This assembly and the parts really does make one think about swapping out=
 old damper assemblies even if the old one were still "serviceable".  Now=
 if they would just come out with a sostenuto retrofit kit.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts