smoke damage

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:55:36 -0400

List,

I have been through the archives and have not found enough information to
prepare myself for an appt. tomorrow.  Could some of you elaborate on your
guidelines in making an insurance assessment of a smoke damaged piano.  I
am worried about long term damage, odor removal, corrosive effects of ozone
treatment, glue joints after the steam present, and anything else I need to
consider.  At what point do I total the piano?  This is a Baldwin that is
only several years old.  Some posts in the archives say smoke, steam, and
ozone have minimal effects and some stress long term problems will ruin the
piano.  Are there any clear guidelines to use?

Also, I tried to contact Majestic Piano Co. mentioned in the archives and
have not been able to get through.  Any and all help will be appreciated.

thanks,
chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
-School of Music, Ohio University