hanging hammers

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:30:36 -0500

With what little information I had, I asked Wally Brooks to bore a set of
hammers for an Acrosonic, way up in the Hollars of West Virginia.  I got
up there, saw there were 93, which gave me some leeway in which I used.
Thinking to be smart, I started at 88, the most difficult section, and
came downward.  Well, allowing for a few 'extras', I came up short before
tenor bass bridge.    Not enough treble hammers!!!!  Oh was I in trouble.
    Just for good measure, I screwed up another thing or two in the
process, which I'll not publicly describe, as I can stand only so much
humiliation in a single day..................

I called Wally, expecting to get a robot, as this was right before
convention time, and he VERY GRACIOUSLY told me that one solution would
be to move all the treble hammers down - but as I said, I'd managed to
make another screw up in process- but he decided he'd send me a few extra
hammers 2nd day air so I could save my hind end before having to race
back to Houston.

Chatting with another tech about yet another job I'd never done before, I
mentioned the Wally incident, and he said, "Yea, Wally saves a whole lot
of people from their stupidity, and is very gracious abou it."

So, having learned scads of lessons I never wanted to learn, I've hung my
first set of vertical hammers successfully, thanks to the unmerited
kindness of Wally Brooks, who didn't even hint that I should have never
publicly admit   the level of idiocy to which I sank, and I would like to
publicly express my greatest appreciation and admiration of this quiet
person who spends little time tooting his horn, and, evidently, spending
a lot of time, energy, and money, salvaging inexperienced neophytes from
their incredibly limited capabilities, when, suddenly, they're up to
their rears in alligators, and have forgotten their original job was to
drain the swamp.

Many ongoing thanks, and life long loyalty to the quality of Wally Brooks
products, and his gracious assistance in salvaging what would have been a
sincere disaster.
Sincerely
Les  Bartlett
Houson