Replacement for Zephyr skin?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:19:54 -0500

>Hi List,
>I was wondering, if I could replace the Zephyr skin pouches with anything
>else.
>I was thinking of the thin kangaroo skin.
>It is just a normal, old pumping player.
>Thank you.
>Regards,
>John M. Ross

Hi John,
This is old news, I know, but a recent round trip cross country migration
has put me a tad more behind the times than usual. Also, you didn't get any
last night, so I guess it's all right.

Most "normal" old players had leather pouches, so you ought to be able to
get away with the substitution. If the Zephyr skin was original
installation, the bleed will be too big for the more porous leather and you
should change them too. I've always used the thin tan pneumatic leather
from Schaff or APSCO with little problem. The skins aren't uniform in
thickness, so you will want to use the thinner areas for small primary
pouches, and the thicker (up to a point) for large secondaries. Some of it
will be too thick, even in the "thin" category, for anything but big cut
out pouches.

Who's selling kangaroo pouch leather, and actually has it in stock? Roo
hide is pretty up-town stuff in the thicker flavors and I'd like to try the
pouch leather.

Also, you are replacing the valve leather, re-hinging and recovering all
bellows and pneumatics, hoses, tubing, flap valves, gaskets, leather nuts,
and rebuilding the piano too... right?

Ron N