Tuning Complaint - Client Relationship

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:26:39 -0400

Roger replied:

>           I bet they noticed the octaves going sharp at the first 5 or 6
>notes on the tenor section. FWIW.
>Tuned one this morning, Piano was 5Cents sharp overall, and almost 30cents
>sharp on the first tenor note.
>A DC will help a lot in this case. The long bridge does not fair so well
>with big humidity swings on this maodel.

Dampp-Chaser was promoting their "under cover" at Reno, with graphs
showing it will keep the piano's RH very stable. Send DC & PTG info
to all concerned parties (pianist, music director, pastor, music
committee members) before you go.
There's no reason for you to give them a free tuning after several
months, and extreme humidity changes, but if you make the sale of a
complete system (smart heater bars, under cover included) maybe it
would be acceptable to "eat" the tuning fee for a tenor touch up.

Good luck,
Patrick Draine

PS Roger Wheelock was at the CyberCafe, demoing 2
humidity/temperature monitoring systems. One cost about $50, the
other $200. Both have small monitors, from which you download the
data to your laptop. A very cool system for selling/explaining to
institutions why their pianos won't stay in tune when their
micro-environment is pushed all over the place (heat, air
conditioning, etc).