Tuning Complaint - Client Relationship

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:32:31 -0400

Terry,

Are they expecting you to do it for free?  If they are knowledgeable, they may
not.

I think it would be most fair to charge them, especially after two months, but
they may not see it this way.  I would probably check the piano with the
intention of retuning it, with the pianist present for the check if possible.
Then you can discuss what you found.  If you feel the fault is yours, then of
course do the tuning for free.

But the fault is probably the piano's or the weather's.  I would mention this,
giving them printed material from PTG and Dampp-Chaser to back me up.  Then I
would say that since I feel the fault does not lie with me, it would be most
fair for me to be paid for my work, but since I want to preserve goodwill I will
offer to give them this one tuning without charge.  If you do it right and they
understand what is going on, they will probably want to pay you, but if not,
goodwill is important, in my opinion.

I tune a Young Chang grand for a church where the pastor admitted they are very
hard on the piano.  It has Dampp-Chaser heat rods with control and gets tuned
every three months.  Sometimes it is ridiculously out of tune when I get there,
but there is rarely a complaint.  It is my opinion that since I began using RCT
the tunings on the pianos I service are more stable.

In another instance I strongly doubted the client when they said several notes
were way out of tune.  I didn't want to go back since it was a considerable
distance, but I did, and they were right!  No charge for that one.

I also want to mention that since most pianists have nothing to compare the
pitch with, they are frequently wrong in assessing whether the piano is sharp or
flat.  I have heard people claim that the bass was flat, when what actually
happened was the tenor went sharp as the humidity rose.  Also, they sometimes
compare the pitch of the piano with a faulty standard.  I did a test once with
prerecorded accompaniment cassettes.  In one case the tape was off, and in all
(five) cases variation in the speed of the cassette recorders was the culprit.
But such a scenario never occurs to the client.  They assume it is the piano.

Regards,
Clyde