Institute Committees Attitudes

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:11:29 EDT

Billbrpt@AOL.COM writes:
<< Just reading what Ed Foote had to say tells me that you
subjected him to conditions other presenters did not have to endure.  Tuning
innovations should not be presented on pianos for which there was not
sufficient time allowed to actually get the tuning done.
<snip>

Greetings,
     There is  no reason to castigate the IC.  They never get an ideal venue
to produce such a complicated affair as a convention.   I didn't feel
"subjected" to conditions.  I (and I think Dan, also) saw them as challenges
to overcome, an opportunity to demonstrate grace under pressure,(which is, to
me, nothing less than a joyful experience when it all works out!).
Conventions are logistical nightmares,  harmony requires everybody be
flexible and willing to really perform at maximum response.  I have had
concert and studio conditions that were less forgiving.

>>If the answer is "there is not enough space or time", then it means
that the Institute is satisfied with mediocrity and half done work as an
example to which PTG Members should aspire.>>

      It wasn't "half-done' work, I tuned the entire piano, and I hope the
class got more than a mediocre tuning.  More than a few said it sounded good.
A few had reservations.
     I only had forty minutes, but that is enough time, (I think) to properly
tune a piano with a good machine and some hammer technique. No, it isn't a
comfortable tuning speed, but  I think a professional should be able to
handle it.  If not,this is a good time to subject the result to a peer
critique.  If it sounded mediocre to any list members that heard it,  I
certainly would want to know.  Even if it just sounded rough in places, I
think that would be valuable information.
       The important thing is finding a safe place to express our opinions
and the vocabulary which allows us to help one another progress.  The
Institute Committee did a wonderful job on both counts, and I enjoyed my part
of the convention, immensely!
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT