recommendations for piano buyer

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:58:38 EDT

In a message dated 7/18/01 5:15:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> All by yourself? Or do you have employees, or sub out most of the work?
> Please help me. I'm getting overwhelmed by a feeling of inadequacy right
> about now.
>
> Terry Farrell

It depends on what you call "all by your self." Tunings I do all by my self.
My wife does tune, but at the most 3 pianos a week. Most weeks she only tunes
one, and she'll go 2 or 3 weeks without a tuning. Now that I don't have a
store any more, I set my own appointments (my business phone is forwarded to
my cell phone during the day, so I have very few calls to make at home in the
evening.). In the evening I do my own paper work.

I guess it is the rebuilding that gets you. I don't do my own refinishing. I
contract that out. I don't make my own bass strings, or bore my own hammers.
But the rest I do myself.

I schedule three or four days a week for tunings, then the other days in the
shop. (sometimes I do a combination of shop and tunings, it just depends on
who wants their piano tuned on what day). I do work 10 hour days, and most
Saturdays. Now that I don't' have a store any more, I only work 2 Saturdays a
month.

I am known to be a very fast worker. My employees, (when I had them) and
colleagues in the business, are amazed at how much I get done in a day. It
generally takes me about 45 minutes to tune a piano. I can string a piano in
about 6-8 hours. That's with the pin block in, and everything ready to go.
But it does include tightening the coils, tapping the hitch pins and bridges,
and one chip tuning. If I have time, and I'm up to it physically, I can even
hang a set of dampers and give the piano a tuning before I quit for the day.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you, but, yes, it is possible to bring in the kind
of money I mentioned. But you have to work very hard to be able to do that.
The other thing is, I love my job. Occasionally, as I am tuning a lousy
spinet, I think about doing something else. But then when I get done, and the
customer thanks me for making here piano sound beautiful, I get over that
feeling, and happily go on to my next appointment.

Wim