Motivation

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 07:29:34 -0400

Friends,

Some of you know that I used to be a high school music teacher, and I would
still enjoy interacting with people more than pianos.  When I am having
motivation problems, I try to think of ways in which this job has its
plusses, such as the flexible schedule, better income, coffee breaks, etc.

But I think we can also make the job more enjoyable if we look for ways to do
that, especially if you are like me, a person who enjoys interacting with
others.  Put efficiency on the back burner enough to take a little time
chatting with the clients, if they seem to want to do that.  Explain a little
of the piano's workings to a kid, if s/he seems to want to hang around.  I
often say, "If you have a question or two (note the careful wording!), I will
be glad to answer it for you."

I've even considered giving each kid a tuning pin or other small part they
could take along to school for "show-and-tell," but I haven't done anything
like that yet, and if I did I would ask the parents' permission if the child
is young.  Currently I am giving each client a copy of "Celebrating 300 Years
of the Piano" which is sometimes a conversation starter.

Do you have some motivational tips that could benefit the rest of us?

Regards,
Clyde