Baldwin's Woes

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:31:47 -0500

Farrell wrote:

> True, but what about donating these instruments to non-profit children's
> homes, etc. Maybe even qualifying funds-poor churches. Heaven only knows how
> bad some need a functional instrument (I know all of you are aware). A
> bookeeping nightmare could be turned into a PR opportunity. Think of the
> headlines - "Baldwin Puts Music Back in Churches"! It would be a crime to
> destroy such an inventory. I would strongly suggest finding this guy's name
> and sending him such a message to pass along to Mr. Jones.

I asked this question, and while I can't recite the answer verbatim the reasons
have to do with eroding marketing strategies and reputation.  There are also
significant expenses involved in the distribution of surplus property, something
that Baldwin cannot afford be involved with right now.  Allowing someone else to
do the job also renders Baldwin helpless to control what happens once they leave
the factory.

It does seem to me that there must be some kind of good that could be done with
them, perhaps if the Baldwin name plate was obliterated off the case.  I was
thinking that the "Send a Piano To Havana" group would probably love to have a
plane load of these to take.

I don't think you need to go out of your way to express your thoughts on the
matter.  I can assure you that Baldwin has people who monitor this list
regularly.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV