recommendations for piano buyer

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:32:02 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/01 9:35:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
dnereson@dimensional.com writes:

> Even though the M&H is prestigious and might sort of retain its value
> because of the name, it's already 75 years old and will need major action
> work in the next 2 or 3 decades, whereas the new K & C will just need minor
> stuff (light hammer filing, screw tightening, regulation touch-up, voicing)
> and probably nothing major for at least 20 years.  And after that length of
> time, the K & C will be worth maybe 2/3 what she paid for it while the M & H
> will only be worth $5, 6, 7K (today's prices).  (?)
>     Should I tell her to just buy the one she thinks sounds best in terms of
> tone, or should I tell her you're always better off buying a brand-new
> instrument, even if it's not a high-end brand?   Thanks for any
> pinions.  ----  Vascillating,  --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver

The M&H needs to be rebuilt. Not counting refinishing, that will cost about
$7000. Therefore, it is worth $3 - 4000 at most. This will result in an
instrument worth at least $12,000.  (If she spends another $4000 to get it
refinished, the piano will be worth $20,000.)

In the long run, that rebuilt M&H will last another 75 years. The K&C will
last 25 years, if that long. Now which is the better buy?

Willem