Steinway Hammers [& other action parts]

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 01:47:32 EDT

Dale Erwin writes:

> because of the stwy actions floating capstan line that the geometry is and
> can be radically different from action to action. Hence the pre- 1984 parts
> and the current parts of varying dimensions.

And because of the varying balance rail position over the years. The making
available of "pre-'84" parts was a well-intentioned but misguided attempt to
provide original dimension parts, at least for two out of three of the action
parts. The fact that the hammers have for decades been much heavier than the
'20's etc. parts upsets the equation completely (actually, the shanks and
repetitions were heavier, too). Whether those heavier hammers are a benefit
or not is another discussion (I think they are, at least in the lower
two-thirds of the piano, although greater weight requires greater stiffness).

There was a short time when the factory was suggesting the Hamburg parts
(shank 17mm pin to knuckle center), but they wouldn't work either, as the
jack didn't line up right, and would jam against the stop felt in the window.
There were also problems with the letoff button, as there are  with the
current parts when replacing shanks only. The current parts will produce a
light touch because of their greater leverage, but the price is deep dip
and/or short blow in some actions.

Each of the aftermarket parts had a different problem, although each would
work in certain situations. In some, the knuckle would be too big, forcing
the repetition down too low and increasing sliding friction at both the top
and the bottom of the repetition.

We will use whatever works best with a specific action, but the combination
we have been using most often for a number of years is the (current) factory
repetition under a Renner Modified (16.2mm, I think) shank, with either
factory or, more often, Ronsen hammers, which we prepare to be lighter than
the current factory ones but a little heavier than the originals. In most
actions this requires a dip between 10.25 -10.5 mm (.403-.413 inch) at the
front of the key, which is not too big a leap for most pianists, and leaves
the leading about the same (3-2-1-0 or 4-3-2-1-0), for a similar inertial
feel. We can massage the dip/weight/blow tradeoffs for particular preferences.

The factory repetitions have been an enormous pain to travel, as they were
not very well drilled for pinning. Nothing was in line with anything else.
However, the parts have been getting better, and the ones I saw at the
convention were really well lined up.

Bob Davis