(no subject)

PnutPern@AOL.COM PnutPern@AOL.COM
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:38:21 EDT

How should I handle this situation:

I currently work for a piano rebuilder and provide tunings on my own time.  I
am starting a new job next week with a well-established and well-respected
dealer but I will continue my side tunings.  I will also continue getting
referrals from my current boss. My soon to be ex-employer sold a Chickering
grand with a questionable pin-block and I am stuck with tuning and servicing
this piano.  They seem happy with it so far but it is a nightmare to tune for
the following reasons:

 1)  This 1923 piano showed evidence of being doped  and instead of replacing
the block he re-pinned with 5 & 6 pins throughout.  2)  Several base pins
were shimmed with walnut veneer and epoxy making them almost impossible to
turn.  3)  He leaves his pins protruding too high from the plate (approx.
1/2" from the plate to the coil) which causes flagpoling in the pins (esp. in
treble).  4)  At least half a dozen pins ratchet which I believe is a result
of the dope/huge pin combination.  5)  He doesn't believe in using half size
strings which I understand can cause inharmonicity and tuning problems. 6)
It sits in an open sanctuary that consists of tile, glass, and concrete so
the sound just goes everywhere.

I hate tuning this piano but they are a good customer of mine.  I also don't
want to get a bad reputation when another tuner comes in and finds these
problems that I never told them about.  How do I handle this without
badmouthing my old boss?  Also, who should pay for the repairs that this
thing really should have and what can be done without replacing the block?

Thanks, Michael Crosby
             Atlanta, GA