restringing bass

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:23:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/01 11:11:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca (John Ross) writes:

> Go for it. It wont take as long as you think. I agree with the person
> that said go with oversize pins at the same time.

Here's a tip with this kind of instrument that should make for a really good,
solid job that will really hold up over time.  Use oversize pins, yes, but
just one size over, 3/0.  Get a fresh bottle of medium viscosity CA glue and
some Q-tip swabs with the wooden stick (from a drugstore).

Use the CA glue as what used to be known as "driving fluid".  Before
inserting each  pin, put some CA glue on the swab and coat the hole with it.
"Just a dab will do ya".  The CA glue will serve to fill and repair any
weakness or irregularity in the pinblock.  It will give you a very firm, even
feel when the job is complete.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin