restringing bass

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:08:13 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/01 9:57:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> I have a customer who wants the bass section of her 1914 Howard upright
> re-strung, but I'm not sure i want to take on the task. There are 42 total
> bass strings; 10 mono/32bi-chords. I've left the original strings on so as
> not to overstress the 87 year old+ full upright, as i thought it would be
> safer to take off old, replace with new as i go. But even at only 10
> minutes
> per string (old off-new on) it's gonna take over EIGHT HOURS!!! So i'm
> thinking maybe I should refer it to another tech who has done lots of this
> type stuff before. Thoughts?
>
> regards all!
>
> Terry Peterson

Terry

The fast and easy way to do this is to take all the old strings off, clean up
the area, and then restring (and repin), with the new strings. You won't
damage the rest of the piano. You'll have to retune the treble, but you'll be
surprised at how well it stayed in tune, considering what you just did.

It will help if you can tip the piano on it's back on a tilter.

Have fun

Wim

Wim