Damp Chaser in old upright

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 09 Jul 2001 08:27:30 -0600

Hi Terry,

There is nothing fuzzy about 50w and 180 btu. Do the math yourself.

I believe a 48" upright weighs in at around 400 lbs. If I am wrong please
tell me. But certainly it weighs atleast 200 lbs.

I mentioned water to define what a btu is and how *little* energy input we
are dealing with. If you can make an "ice" piano let me know ok? (grin no
need for humidity control there!)

Woods make up a piano are considerably denser than water, therefore it
would take longer to raise their temperature. Metal allows heat to transfer
very quickly, and the plate is a pretty massive (or usually is), so it
would take more to heat a plate than a similar amount of water. The energy
"input" from a 50 watt rod is *only* 180 B.T.U's. Therefore a 50 rod can't
increase the temperature of the whole piano much at all. It can and does
affect the strings however.

It's nice that you have measured the inside of the piano at 35 C. Where in
the piano was your thermometer? Was it a min/max unit? Was it accurate? Did
you have more than one measuring device? Was it an elcheapo from Radio
Shack? What was the temperature outside the piano at the time? Please don't
be so fuzzy Terry *grin*. And please don't be such a fussy reader! LOL

The 50 rod is going to cycle more often than a 25. I believe that rapid
cycling leads to a more even moisture content in the wood, and less effect
on the strings. I have no proof of this. I would love to have some.

At 09:21 AM 07/09/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>What's with all this "fuzzy math"? I thought only American Presidents knew
>how to use that? A piano is made of wood (admittedly with a small percentage
>of water) and metal, and felt and glue, etc. It isn't made of water. So how
>do you come to your conclusion based on a 400 lb. weight of a typical piano?
>
>I have measured temperatures inside a studio piano up to about 95 F (35 C),
>when equipped with a 50 W rod and a standard calibration humidistat. The
>temperature that the piano achieves will be dependant on two things: 1) the
>maximum rod temperature - let's just assume it gets way hotter than we want
>any piano, and 2) the rate at which heat energy escapes the interior of the
>piano - either through direct transfer of air between the piano interior and
>the room atmosphere (I would guess this is the primary route) and/or thermal
>transmission through the case/soundboard/etc. It will not depend much on the
>weight of the piano. The weight (wood weight, that is) will only affect the
>total time required for the piano to come into equilibrium with the DC
>system and room atmospheric conditions, when you have a properly sized DC
>system. The weight of the piano could however affect the ultimate
>temperature only in the case where you have an improperly sized DC system.
>
>I think.  :-)
>
>Terry Farrell

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com