Damp Chaser in old upright

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:01:30 -0400

> Darwin, average temprature during the wet season is da
> ily MIN 25 Celcius Maximum 33 Celcius.  A 50W rod is HOT, if it stays on
all
> the time (which it would if it was with the "DRY" humidistat), how hot
would
> it make the piano ?. And what damage would it do ?.  Would this mean that
> the piano is capable of being at a temp of say, 50 C for half the year
then
> 28 C for the other half ?

You have a legitimate concern there. This has crossed my mind also -
especially because I advocate placing enough wattage in the piano to make it
cycle during periods of high humidity. I don't know that I have seen any
hard data on the effects of temperature. Since we are talking about tuning
stability, obviously large temperature differentials will affect metal
components - plate size and string tension - but maybe they would cancel
each other out - with rising temp, the plate would grow, pulling the strings
tighter, but the strings would relax because they would grow also, maybe
being about the same in the end. My understanding of heat effects on wood is
that it is minimal in the range we are talking. The only significant effect
elevated heat will have on wood (and lets just pull a high number out of the
air - so to speak - let's say up to 60 C) is that it will dry it out - but
keep in mind that with a properly functioning, designed, and installed DC
system, the heat will turn off when the RH reaches the target level, and
therefore the wood will not dry out too much, but rather will be held at a
relatively constant moisture content.

So, to answer your question, IMHO, yes, it would be much better to have a
piano interior oscillate during the year between a high temp of 50 C (122 F)
and a low temp of 28 C (82 F) and have constant RH, rather than have the
temp vary less and RH more.

Wow, it sure is hot in Darwin! I've spent the last half hour or so looking
at maps, etc. about northern Australia. Pretty far out place you live in.
Have you been there a long time? Do you get out on the ocean? I found an
interesting site that gives all sorts of climatological data for Australia
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ .

I have enjoyed this exchange. If you care to tell me a bit of off-topic
stuff about your neck of the woods there, send me private. I would be very
interested. Take care.

Terry Farrell