Tuning Guarantee

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 08 Jul 2001 17:55:49 -0500

I too will go back and fix the problem if complained about, because that
is career "life insurance"!  My answer to the guarantee question is that
a tuning will remain stable until the next major humidity change.  A
piano tuning is like throwing a 2x4 in a river and telling it to stay!!
The biggest problem is that the bass is not effected as much by the
changes as the tenor area.  The break is right in the middle of where
they play so that any chord straddling the break will sound dissonant.

The worse situation I ever got myself into, was when I had to do a major
pitch raise (50-60 cents {1/4 step}) and simultaneously installed and
started up a DC rod without a Humidistat controlling it. Duh! It was
this time of year in soggy Louisiana, 80+ humidity, 3p.m. thunderstorm
every day.  The soundboard was loaded with water and it took the
customer 2 days to start climbing the walls, a day to get angry, and
another to call me.  The bass was in tune except for the upper two notes
which were a cent or so flat.  The first tenor notes, wound strings,
were slightly flatter but the first through about 6 wire unisons were 9
cents flat!

Needless to say, I don't do that anymore!  If the customer wants a
damppchaser in there, I install the system, reschedule the tuning
appointment at least two weeks later and get out of there. After a
thorough explanation, of course.

Warren

--
Warren Fisher RPT                   Beginners & Lurkers
fish@Communique.net                 Basic Pianotech discussed