Fw: Fw: shellac sealer on plate yes yes yesYES

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:14:29 -0700

 Thanks for the warning David

 I'll use a metal primer next time and then shellac coat if necessary. After
giving this much thought lately do you or anyone out there have any
definitive answers to 1. what was the original black undercoating was  and
exactly and how it was  applied ? 2 Don't you think that the original gold
coats were either shellac or varnish or both? Premise: I firmly suspect that
it is  possible that whatever one might put over that old and at times
rather brittle finish could react over time and cause the finish in time to
peel off in sheets. I've seen a time or too, but not mine yet. All I'm
saying is that  finish products and processes will come back to bite you in
the rear end when you'all least expect it!
   I just sand blasted another plate that finish was chipping and flaking
off badly. It had been painted over once many years ago with some kind of
....... A new finish can not be put over that scenario successfully.

     Dale Erwin