Tuning Guarantee

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 11:51:16 EDT

In a message dated 7/8/01 10:29:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell) writes:

> I am so proud of myself. I think she blindsided me in such major fashion
> that I actually had the ba%$s to quote something I think I had read one time
> on this list: "the only thing I will guarantee is that the piano will go out
> of tune". I did however, go on to explain a bit more about tuning stability
> after pitch raises, etc. - so I did not do it as bluntly as it might appear.

Who else but me would come up with such blunt and forceful remark?  But just
as you did, I do not answer that kind of question with that statement alone.
I explain that any piano tuning is only going to be as good as it will be on
the day it is done.  It is like cleaning a window or a mirror or any other
housekeeping task, for that matter.  People have different tolerances and
certain circumstances require higher standards than others.  This kind of
statement is only made as a summation.

Certainly, this person must not use her piano very much or seriously, despite
being an active and accomplished musician.  She may, however have an
unrealistic expectation from the piano.  She can tune her own cello as much
and as often as needed.  But she had to *pay* you.  She may have also had
past experiences with a tuner who really could not and did not do a very good
job.

Fortunately for me, I rarely ever hear that question any more but I did hear
it a lot when I was younger.  Most of my customers have chosen me because of
the reputation I have for doing a good and stable job.  The procedure I use
does not allow me to "forget" to tune any notes.  When I am finished with the
tuning, it is always quite obvious to the customer that what they are paying
for is worth it.  When I see circumstances which will cause a piano to go
badly out of tune again in a short period of time, such as a change of season
coming on and no humidity control, I point that out and make suggestions.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin