Tuning Guarantee

Mitch Ruth pianomitch@hotmail.com
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 08:16:57 -0400

Terry,

When I first got into the buisness 7 years ago, I did not have letters af=
ter my name or any experience to brag about.  So I just told the customer=
 that if they didn't like the sound within 6 weeks, they should call me a=
nd I would make it right.  There was nothing magical about 6 weeks, it ju=
st made my customer feel better that I would stand behind my work.  A few=
 times it has bitten me, but I just got in the habit of saying it and I h=
aven't stopped.  In the cases where the customer has called in my work, I=
 have had an opportunity to build a better business relationship with the=
m and find out about what mistakes I might be making.

In my area people don't care about how much you know, they want to know h=
ow much you care.  If their Starr Upright that Uncle Ferd kept in the bar=
n for 25 years is out two months after I tune it they don't care why, the=
y just assume I did a bad job.  The money I lose by going back and making=
 them happy is nothing like the money I would lose if I let them talk abo=
ut that Ruth feller that came and took my money and my piano is out of tu=
ne again.  We can all build our skills but most (not all) customers don't=
 and won't appreciate that, what they can relate to is a reputation for b=
eing honest and giving good service.

I always talk to my customers and let them know of what might happen in w=
ierd (and not wierd) situations.  Tell them that a piano will always need=
 another tuning soon if I am raising the pitch a great deal.  I know howe=
ver that people will remember what they want to remember.  Educate, educa=
te, educate then don't nickle and dime them.  =20

mitch ruth
demossville, KyGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http:=
//explorer.msn.com