Damp Chaser in old upright

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 07 Jul 2001 16:51:19 -0400

Daniel,

I used to be skeptical about also.  Even now, sometimes I don't think it's as
effective in certain instances as I wish it were.  I forget now; are you a piano
technician?  The whole business about Dampp-Chasers will become clearer once you
see a system and how it works.

I installed my first complete system with skepticism oozing out all my pores.  I
told the client exactly how I felt and promised to remove the system and give
all her money back if she wasn't satisfied.  She was so frustrated with her
piano's instability that she said go for it.  For what it's worth, her husband
is a lawyer.

What I didn't understand is that as the system corrects the humidity in the
piano it can initially cause it to go out of tune, which is exactly what
happened.  I tuned the piano again in two months free of charge.  She later told
me she was also skeptical at first but wouldn't do without it now, and that I
may certainly give her name to any interested persons as a reference.

Now to respond to the paragraph below, I am not aware of any problems if the
installation is correct, except that I've been told having the water tank too
close to a grand piano soundboard can be a problem.

home works completely on an evaporation principle.  The water is cold, no steam
whatsoever.

Regards,
Clyde