Strike Point

Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:16:20 -0700

Yes, he did. I worked with him for a few months in the late 80s. A more =
loyal and gracious man would be hard to find.

Still, the 1/7th information is incorrect. Even though Jim Coleman is =
undoubtedly correct about the hammer strike point being 1/7th on spinet =
scale (I never looked at them) this is not common. Historically, very =
few pianos have been built using a hammer strike point of 1/7th -- John =
Broadwood notwithstanding.=20

With the Baldwin action installation procedure, the hammershanks are =
trimmed to fit the correct strike point using C-88 as a reference. At =
this point the hammer is going to strike about 3 to 4 mm below the =
V-bar. Depending on the scale 1/7th would place the hammer strike point =
about 7.5 mm below the V-bar. Wouldn't sound too good.

Del

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: July 07, 2001 5:27 AM
  Subject: Re: Strike Point

  In a message dated 7/6/01 9:28:18 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:=20

    Or did you mean to write 1/17? That's some different than 1/7.=20

    Anyway, you're probably referring to Willard Sims. Really nice man, =
but not=20
    all of his information was accurate.=20

    Del=20

  I meant 1/7. At least that is what I remembered.=20

  Yes, Willard. You're right, very nice man. I beleive he died several =
years=20
  ago, right?=20

  Wim=20