waveforms, U1 instability, loose parts

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 00:12:51 +0930

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Nereson <dnereson@dimensional.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 8:28 PM
Subject: waveforms, U1 instability, loose parts

> Rather than wasting space quoting entire posts, here are my quick
> to a few snippets, for what they're worth....
>
> I am the wrong person to go into the timbre of the piano in detail (that
is
> whom I am looking for) but the different tones of different musical groups
> are divided into Sine, Sawtooth and Square wave forms. It is the different
> partials at different amplitudes that denote the timbre of the tone we
> listen to
>
> If I'm not mistaken, sawtooth and square waveforms are produced only by
> electronic signal generators (synthesizers, etc.)
> --Dave Nereson

Hi Dave,

I'm in trouble now for being a radio tech 40 years ago now.
Tone colour is determined by the shape of the sound's waveform. It is the
shape of the waveform that denotes what type of instrument made it. Thus I
am using sine, square and saw to denote specific waveforms. A Synthesizer
produces these waveforms then allows you to further manipulate them to
produce a more exacting tone that you require.

I seem to remember seeing the composite frequencies of a note from different
instruments be in displayed in one of my books (can't remember which one)
the sine as a bell, saw as a violin and square as a trumpet. Not exact but
similar enough to say one from the other.

I must remember to dot my i's and cross my t's.

Tony Caught