price guides to new and used pianos

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 08:42:46 EDT

davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> What are the current guides to the prices of new and used pianos and how
> can I get them?
>
> Thanks
>
> David Love

As far as new prices are concerned, subscribe to the Ancott Music Product
Directory, Acoustic Piano Edition. For $45.00 per year you get 2 editions,
fall/winter and spring/summer. ($80.00 for 2 years). You can call them at
513-772-2282.

As far as used pianos are concerned, unlike a blue book for cars, there is no
guide in the piano industry, at least not that I know of. There are so many
variables when it comes to pianos, it is difficult to put a "formula" on
determining the value of a used piano. The variables include, but are not
limited to: area of the country, age and use of the instrument, over all
condition, style and model, case damage.

I have been appraising pianos for over 20 years, and it is still a challenge.
You really need to know the value of new pianos, and what the piano you are
appraising sold for new, to determine the value of the used piano.

Wim