Damp Chaser in old upright

jstuart1 jstuart1@pdq.net
Sat, 07 Jul 2001 05:03:53 -0500

I agree that the piano is over due for a rebuild and I don't fault the DC for
the general wear. In these old uprights, I expect to see some of the felts
comming loose or having fallen off but I have not seen buckskins basically
cooked. Usually these are either worn to the wood or need to be carefully
scaped off to a clean surface. When I was replacing them yesterdy, just a touch
and the whole thing would fall off. The bridle straps which are fairly recent
have thier leather dried and stiff and glue joints seem to letting go.I have
mentioned my theory on the list to try to find out more information from those
more experienced than I. This piano just has the heating element with no
apparent control of any kind. The owner indicated that the heater stays on all
the time. The rod will burn you if you touch it. I know because it fell off the
mount when I removed the knee board and I made the mistake of grabbing it.

Uncontrolled dry heat over 25 years in a closed piano is bound to cause some
problems in my opinion. I wish you could see the action as I think it is fairly
evident on close inspction. I do not have a negative opinion of the DC. In fact
I though it was great that he had one installed. It wasn't until I started
repairing the action that I began to notice the problems. I think the problem
in this case is that the rod he has he very old and is not controlled. The
systems were modified to the new versions we have now as issues were
discovered. But again I am just a beginner and this is the first such system I
have seen. I have not said anything to the owner yet because I need to know for
sure. From what I have learned so far from the list, I think the recommendation
of a humidistat to provide some control over the element is called for.

JStuart