Fw: M&H Refinishing?

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:21:21 -0700

  Hi Diane

 I am just doing a 1913 Mason A  piano for myself. It was ebony but when =
stripped down there was a whole host of beautiful mahogany(not the =
boring kind either).  My only concern was a blending in a Few pieces( =
strong back and key slip).  Just got home to see the many coats of =
lacquer sanded flat and rubbed out with rotten stone, Oh my gosh!  Drop =
Dead Gorgeous.=20
   The 1929 BB Mason & Hamlin( in ebony) that I had displayed at Cal. =
state convention had many parts that were mahogany but I can't remember =
how much.( I think many) I know that I considered going mahogany.  In =
retrospect it would have been an easier finish in mahogany because it =
had so much massively deep grain and took much filling to get it flat =
and rubbed.(just that memory says it wasn't birch or maple.   I'm =
guessing you should strip it first then decide.  By the way I couldn't =
see any grain on either Mason I mentioned before it was stripped.

   Also the piano did have a residual black dye in the wood which I was =
concerned but it sanded right out except some trim pieces over the leg =
which got lighter. So I just stained them and you can't tell much =
difference.  The piano is gorgeous brownish with some red.  It was a =
water dye powder that we mix for color fastness.  Did only minor toning =
on some strange grayish areas in the lid and on the top block of the =
leg.
   I also modified the soundboard by free floating the rear corner as =
there is so much tension trying to glue that corner down without ripping =
the bridge off the board.  Hope the tone is as good as Ron O,Del and =
others suggest.

    Hope that helps=20

Best
   Dale Erwin