Factory muted duplex

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:32:12 -0600

Hi Paul,

My understanding is that often this is braided off during voicing. I prefer
to use some rolled up towels. Then I can simply lift them clear after
tuning/voicing. I don't always find it necessary but it is a good tip to
know about when you have an octave in the top range that refuses to "tune".

At 11:20 AM 07/06/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Yamaha grands have string braid (felt, not cotton) muting out more than
half of
>the lowest duplex section.  Some other manufacturers also do this to a
greater
>or lesser degree.  Does anyone know why?  I mean if you're going to have the
>aliquot bridge, why mute it out?  Or if you're going to mute it out, why have
>the bridge?
>
>Paul Larudee

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com