1977 Yamaha U1

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:59:54 -0500

>...Thoughts? Advice?
>John Formsma

John, List,

It has been mentioned numerous times in the past that tightening plates
bolts/screws can aid in stability of tuning, so insuring such a thing is
done could only be a plus in your situation.

Since you are not on location daily to monitor changes in
temperature/humidity, and by the initial numbers you mentioned, installing
a complete Dampp-Chaser system and having it properly maintained would be
the next order of business.

Doing these two items should greatly reduce fluctuations in pitch.

Should there still be dramatic changes in pitch after doing the above,
mounting support boards (preferably hardwood 1" x 3") across the back of
the piano perpendicular to the backposts (minimum of 3, two above the
handles evenly spaced, one below the handles evenly spaced) is an option.

I have done this once in a unique situation where I had remarkable results
in improved stability of tuning on a relatively new Yamaha U1 in a
university environment.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731