Strike Point

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 23:36:51 +0930

Hi Tom,

Am not sure of the of the reason (apart from my thoughts) for lack of =
projection or if it is common for European Grands to strike on 1/7th, if =
there are many European Grands that strike on 1/7th, I would think that =
that is the cause for lousy projection.

I do agree that when you strike a string closer to the middle of the =
strings length, it will vibrate harder and further from centre line =
which of course overdrives the strings in a hurry.  Maybe Isaac's bouncy =
hammers would help control that situation, not sure.

Problem is, stuck in Darwin with a total 90,000 population, I don't get =
to see enough of these pianos to analyse. Thus I am totally reliant on =
this list.

Regards

Tony Caught

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tom Servinsky=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 9:33 PM
  Subject: Re: Strike Point

  Although I agree with the 1/7 vs. 1/8 strike point criteria, the =
reasons for the Bosendorfer's lack of projection results more from the =
frame material and design.  My biggest complaint with Bosendorfers ( and =
other European grands) that they don't sound well at fff sound levels.  =
>From ppp to f  they sound quite well. However, pushed beyond that =
comfort range ( i.e f to a fff loudness) the sounds transform from a =
warm, velvet quality to a  harsh, percussive, and distorted quality =
which does not lend itself well with an orchestra or large hall. =20
  For 99.9999% of musical uses, the Bosendorfer is a wonderful =
instrument...one to die for. Extremely well crafted, wonderful =
workmanship... a real piece of art.  It's the lack of projection which =
has always made it a second choice to Steinway.
  Tom Servinsky, RPT