Redesigning Name Brands

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 08:31:17 -0400

> On the other hand, from the perspective of future owners, it seems unfair
> to leave the impression that the piano is "the real thing" if large
> modifications have occurred.

Let's say I bought a S&S in New York in 1948. I got a piano that has an
action (felt action-center bushings), keys, hammers, plate, and case made by
S&S in their New York factory. Let's say you bought the same model piano
from the same place in a fictitious 1960-or-there-abouts year and later
found out that whereas your piano has a rim built in the factory, it has
keys, action parts (with these funny plastic action centers) and hammers
made in Germany, and that big heavy gold thing on the inside made in
Springfield, Ohio (same company that make plates for other prestigious
companies such as Kimball). So who got the real thing? I know which one I
would rather have.

> Antiques, for instance, are often best left
> alone even if they could be functionally or visually improved.  With a
> heavily modified piano, a future buyer might be unable to know what they
> are really getting. For example, in the automotive world,  you might have
> a Volkswagen car, but retrofitted with either a Yugo or BMW transmission.

Again, the automotive world does that now. My wife bought a new Saturn
recently with a four-cylinder motor made by Saturn. The optional
six-cylinder motor is made in Germany by Volkswagon (no Saturn/VW sticker on
car).

>  As a result of good intentions but lack of expertise, I've seen pianos
> that were far worse off after major "work".

I have been servicing pianos for a little more than three years now. I have
serviced numerous grands that have had some work to them - from hammer
replacement to "complete rebuilding". I have yet to see one that I thought
was done well. Many (most) were, like you say, "far worse off". But, this is
regardless of whether any kind of modification was attempted. Many
"rebuilders" simply don't know which way a hammer goes on a shank!

>  I suppose a manufacturer
> could be concerned about "their" piano's reputation as a result.  And
> whether we like it or not, S & S pianos in particular are often thought
> of as investments.

Oh, boy. Does anyone want to dig into this can of worms? I will - in another
post.  :-)

In summary, I guess I just don't think it is that big a deal. A buyer of a
used instrument simply needs to be educated. Most are not, but let's get
back to the car analogy. Let's go shopping for a 1966 Corvette. An
all-original, matching-serial-numbers-type, mint condition might go for
$45,000 - and be a reasonable deal (for those so inclined). If you know
anything about cars, you know that the same advertised Corvette may be
rebuilt poorly (frame and other major components not restored, poor quality
fiberglass repairs, etc.), it might have a 350 (not the original 327) out of
a '76 Nova and the transmission out of a '64 Impala, etc., etc. So what will
be the asking price of that Corvette? If it LOOKS good, maybe $40,000. If it
doesn't look so good, or if a lot of people ask questions and check it out
closely, likely quite a bit less. Who's responsibility is it to disclose
details of the Corvette? The owner of the all-original will, of course,
disclose ALL details. The other will likely not ("Da, I dunno, that's the
way I bought it - it says Corvette on it."). But who's RESPONSIBILITY is it
to be aware? The buyer! Unfortunately, more used/rebuilt automobile shoppers
have a basic understanding of what they are buying than shoppers of
used/rebuilt pianos. The burden is on the buyer (and if they don't know -
bring a qualified tech along!!!!!). (I have owned a 1983 Mercedes for about
five years now - before I bought it - even though I am fairly familiar with
them - I took it to a Mercedes shop and had it inspected.) I agree that a
rebuilder should acknowledge how the piano was modified, etc., but hey,
"things change - nothing stays the same" (except for much of what comes out
of piano factories, it seems!)

Just not that big a deal. Go where your heart and ethics lead you. If you
have the knowledge to make an improvement, by all means go for it. If you
are into the museum thing, that's OK also. My two-cents worth.

Terry Farrell