Strike Point

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 08:03:09 -0400

Although I agree with the 1/7 vs. 1/8 strike point criteria, the reasons =
for the Bosendorfer's lack of projection results more from the frame =
material and design.  My biggest complaint with Bosendorfers ( and other =
European grands) that they don't sound well at fff sound levels.  From =
ppp to f  they sound quite well. However, pushed beyond that comfort =
range ( i.e f to a fff loudness) the sounds transform from a warm, =
velvet quality to a  harsh, percussive, and distorted quality which does =
not lend itself well with an orchestra or large hall. =20
For 99.9999% of musical uses, the Bosendorfer is a wonderful =
instrument...one to die for. Extremely well crafted, wonderful =
workmanship... a real piece of art.  It's the lack of projection which =
has always made it a second choice to Steinway.
Tom Servinsky, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 6:05 AM
  Subject: Re: Strike Point

  In a message dated 7/6/01 2:45:58 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
  caute@optusnet.com.au writes:=20

    Bosendorfer hammer's strike on 1/7 of the string length and =
Steinway's=20
    hammers strike on 1/8 of the string length.     True or false.=20

    Because the Bose strike point is 1/7th, this makes the tone more =
suitable=20
    to playing with a string ensemble and in small halls and if played =
with an=20
    orchestra, because the 7th partial is missing and the 8th more =
prominent=20
    the Bose looses power.=20

    This is the story I read ? somewhere to explain why Steinways are =
played=20
    with orchestras and Bosendorfers are not.=20

  I didn't know Steinway was at 1/8th. I was under the impression that =
the=20
  maximum sound, especially in the last octave, was for 1/7th.=20

  When I first got into the business, I got an Acrosonic with all the =
hammers=20
  torn out. Students at the local university got mad when the school =
announced=20
  a tuition increase, and they decided to destroy university property to =

  protest. Someone opened up the top of the piano, and raked out all the =

  hammers, destroying most of the buts, and some of the wips. The =
university=20
  gave the piano to one of the music students, who called me to "fix a =
couple=20
  of dead keys."=20

  Since I didn't have samples to go by to replace the hammers, etc. I =
called=20
  Baldwin and they told me to cut the shank so that hammer strike point =
for=20
  note 88 was at 1/7 of the string length, and then to cut the rest of =
the=20
  shanks the same length. Since then I learned that most pianos are =
built=20
  basically the same.=20

  I do know Bosy's do not have the carrying power like a Steinway. But =
is it=20
  because of the strike point, or other reasons?=20

  Willem=20