rescaling

Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:01:49 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip L Ford" <fordpiano@lycos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 04, 2001 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: rescaling

... I very much enjoyed reading Ron's response to my original post.  I was a
little disappointed that I didn't get a scathing reply from Del.  That's
part of the reason for making the post, so that there can be a discussion.
I'm just offering a different opinion.  You don't have to agree.  I'm not
saying that I'm right and you're wrong.  I'm just expressing some things
I've been thinking about.

And you'll not.

1)    I'm busy preparing another class on the subject hoping to place one
more burr under the collective butt of a collectively lethargic industry.
Hopefully I'll win over one or two more. After 20 plus years of spreading
burrs, dare I hope there is finally a bit of momentum?
2)    There is no indication at all that the original designers of the
pianos you're venerating held your view that they were creating works of
art. This is a fairly recent phenomonon. Yes, they were trying to design
better pianos, but they fully understood they were building manufactured
products.
3)    It wasn't until the businessmen--more recently, businesswomen--running
these companies killed off the effectiveness of their R&D and design
departments that the companies themselves began holding up their historical
product as 'perfect' or as 'works of art.' This approach may make for good
marketing, but it doesn't improve the product.
4)    This is not the first time this discussion has come up.
5)    I've already said most of what I have to say on the subject.
6)    Ron N and Ron O are already saying most of what I would say on the
subject. And mostly saying it better than I would say it myself.

Regards,

Del