The Flag

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 15:03:50 -0500

Jon,

I showed this to my wife and she mentioned a recent article she read in the local
paper by Ann Landers about a Dallas historian who said that much of this is
incorrect. Particularly the part about the "five signers captured"......  If I
can find the article, I'll post more detail.  I'm afraid the creative mailers
have got us again!

I found it in today's newspaper.  I'm sending it directly to Jon. It's too big to
send through Pianotech. Here's what the facts say:

No signer was killed outright by the British and only one, Richard Stockton is
said to have been imprisoned solely for having signed the Declaration.  The
others were captured while fighting in ther army anwere treated just like any
other prisoner (which was fairly harsh), but they were not tortured.  Of the 56
signers, 17 (not nine) held commissions in the army or did medical duty during
the war.  Many of those whose property was looted or destroyed managed to
re-establish themselves financially after the war.
    Carter Braxton did suffer financial hardship because of the British, but he
retained ohter holdings.  What ruined him were commercial setbacks after the war.
Thomas McKean did not die in poverty. In fiact, he was quite wealthy when he died
at the age of 83 in 1817.  No one knows for sure if Thomas Nelson's home was
fired upon (the source of this story is family legend), but I heard the home was
turned into a tourist attraction after the war, and additional connonball holes
were added for "authenticity."
    The other facts are essentially correct, but give the immpression died as a
result of wounds suffered in the war, or they died in poverty.  In reality, the
majority survived the war and rebuilt their fortunes.
    The signer of the Declaration of Independence kenw they could have been
targeted by the British as traitors.  They showed tremendous courage and bravery
by willingly putting their names on a cocument that could bring aboutr their
deaths. We do not need to embellish the truth.
            History Buff in Dallas

DEAR HISTORY BUFF:  Thank you for your excellent research.  You were not the only
one to tell me that the facts presented in my column were misleading.  There was
also some controversy about the author.  Some readers insisted the original piec
was written by the father of Rush Limbaugh Jr. (Rush Sr.) during WWII.
    another said the aurtor was Peter McWilliams, a libertarian writer.  Several
said the true author is Gary Hildreth of Erie, Pa.

    So, dear readers, those who want the entire history lesson can look up the
facts at the local library or on the internet.  I've done my part.
Copied from Ann Landers column for today.

Jon, I was just ready to post this also when my wife let me have it with both
barrels. :-)

Warren

--
Warren Fisher RPT                   Beginners & Lurkers
fish@Communique.net                 Basic Pianotech discussed