rescaling

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 16:40:58 0000

Dave,
--

On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 08:12:28
 David M. Porritt wrote:
>Phil:
>
>The pianos you speak of used to belong to the Steinway, Bechstein,
>etc...... companies.  When they were finished with them they accepted money
>in exchange for the pianos, and now they belong to the current owners.  If
>the current owners want them "improved" - whatever that may mean to you, me
>or them - it is their right to have the "best" piano it can be regardless
>of the "heritage."

---
Da Vinci gave up title to the Mona Lisa when he sold it to the first buyer.  Should that owner have been free to paint on a mustache?  After all it's just a painting, not a temple.
I don't think so.  Apparently, if I get the gist of your argument, you do.  There is a difference in our points of view.
---

>I own a 1912 "B" that I am about to finish rebuilding.  It is my piano.
>Steinway gave up title to that piano 89 years ago.  I have put in the
>action parts I have chosen (Renner) a sounding board made in Atlanta, GA,
>strings made by Mapes etc.  It's my piano not Steinway's.  When I finish it
>I will sell it to someone who appreciates it for what it is now, not what
>it used to be.  I don't really think I have desecrated it.  I think I have
>improved it.  People who don't think that I've improved it can decline the
>opportunity to buy it.  It's a piano, not a Temple.

---
This all sounds fine.  I hope the piano turns out well.  I don't object to putting new parts, new soundboards, etc. although some seemed to infer from my post that I did.  What I object to is changing the design intent
of the original maker.  I realize that things deteriorate with time and use. To make them usable instruments, as opposed to museum pieces, they have to be restored.
The approach to restoration is what I thought this discussion was about.
---

>If I thought that the right to innovate, experiment, improve (in our
>personal view), and modify things in our work was only allowed by early
>20th century workers, I'd not be able to get out of bed in the morning.
>"What can I improve today" is the only thing that makes the "ding, ding,
>ding" of tuning bearable.
---
I don't deny anyone's right to innovate or experiment.  I encourage it.  I just question the propriety of doing it on someone else's design.  If you don't think Steinway or whoever did a very good job of building pianos then why don't you build your own piano?  Then you can innovate to your heart's content.
--

Reading about the things  Ron, Del, and others
>are doing to further our craft is some of  the best reading I do each day.

---
I agree.  I very much enjoyed reading Ron's response to my original post.  I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a scathing reply from Del.  That's part of the reason for making the post, so that there can be a discussion.  I'm just offering a different opinion.  You don't have to agree.  I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong.  I'm just expressing some things I've been thinking about.
---

>I hope our craft keeps going ahead!
>
>dave

Me too, although perhaps we have a different definition of what that means.

Phil