The Flag

Mitch Ruth pianomitch@hotmail.com
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 14:52:14 -0000

>Its a pity that  from the craze of "un-American activities" of the
>50's  a particular religion was allowed to change the words of the
>Pledge of Allegiance.
>     The Constitution guarantees "freedom of religion"  That guarantee
>also means "freedom from religion".
>      So where is the necessity or right to add "under God" to the
>Pledge?    What ever you want to say is OK with me, how ever you want
>to worship, I will stand up for that right, (well, speak up at
>least)(just don't ask me to die for it)  but why do you want me or my
>children to say what you want,  let alone use my tax dollars to have a
>religious belief promulgated in our schools? ---ric

"Freedom from religion" can only exist when you opress the religious, so
therefore cannot exist in a free society and should be opposed by all who
love freedom. I as a person of faith am not protected from ideas or images
which I consider to be offensive.  My faith commands me to live it
everywhere and the constitution protects that right (that's the free
exercise part that everyone leaves out).

The "Under God" phrase comes from the rest of the founding documents of the
United States, which contrary to revisionist history, did at least give lip
service to Judeo/Christian concepts.  At best it is a hopeful wish to me,
but I would have no desire to force you to comply for that would be in
opposition to the tenets of my faith.

Where do I get the right to say such things?  Well, I'm breathing and if you
wish to get me to stop then you may kill me, for I would die for these
rights.  Just as many good men before me died for the same.

Happy America!
Mitch Ruth
DeMossville, KY USA