rescaling

Tue, 3 Jul 2001 22:12:13 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip L Ford" <fordpiano@lycos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 04, 2001 4:13 AM
Subject: Re: rescaling

If I designed and built a piano it would represent my idea of what a piano
should be.  I wouldn't want someone 'improving' that after the fact no
matter how good a rebuilder he thought himself.

Speaking as one who has both designed and built pianos (and who is still
doing so), if any of you rewhateverers out there comes across a piano that
I've either designed or built and you are rewhatevering it and you can
improve it and make it a better musical instrument--you have my permission,
my encouragement and my blessing to do so. (Please let me know what you've
done so we can both learn something.)

I do not for a moment consider the instrument to be something sacred. It is
not the instrument that brings tear of joy or tears of sorrow--it is the
music produced by the instrument. Anything I can do to make the instrument
more musical in the hands of the artist I will do and I'll not worry too
much about authenticity along the way! And I expect anyone coming across my
work to do the same.

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich