how long?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 19:06:49 -0400

Tom,

A main thing is to get your name out there.  Referrals from happy clients are
nice, but if your client base is too small, it will take too long to build up the
clientele.  Figure out how to do that inexpensively.  Keep trying different
things and see what works in your area.

I wouldn't trust mailing service reminder cards out to former clients.  People
are just too busy or distracted or something.  After I see a client the first
time I ask them about their piano maintenance wishes, then I follow up on the
phone.  Yes, it gets tedious for me, but I have a waiting list about 9-10 months
per year.  It's a slow month (or vacation time) when I have less than 60
tunings.  Remember it is much easier to keep a client you already have than to
find new ones.  You won't keep them all, however.

Regarding Dave Barr's class, I think I'm correct when I say I heard him in the
class one time say he works d--- hard, to the tune of 30 pianos per week.
(Correct me if I'm wrong.)  I could make a hundred grand, too, if I did that, but
there's a lot more to life than work.  As the saying goes, no old person says, "I
wish I had spent more time at the office" (or work or whatever).  That statement
might help some of us set priorities.

Got off on a tangent there -- sorry.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT