question on plugging was Re: Oiled Pinblock

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 16:46:30 -0300

Hi Willem,
Like all repair methods, it may not work in all situations. I think that =
the 3/8" plug and the hole required, will not take too much from the =
plate integrity. If you feel it will weaken the plate, then don't do it, =
as you can't build the plate up again. Was that your question?
Regards,

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 3:45 PM
  Subject: question on plugging was Re: Oiled Pinblock

  In a message dated 7/3/01 1:28:18 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca writes:=20

    Hi Tom,=20
    I forgot to say, there are two sizes of plugs. The one to use would =
probably=20
    be the one that just fits, without having to drill any appreciable =
amount=20
    from the plate.=20
    Good luck, it has worked for me. You could also epoxy them in as =
well,=20
    instead of the CA.=20
    Regards=20
    John M. Ross=20

  I have a question regarding the plugs. I just fit and drilled a =
Baldwin grand=20
  block. Like a Steinway, this plate doesn't use plate bushings. The =
plate=20
  holes are just big enough for a tuning pin. How do you plug one of =
these? I=20
  have heard you can drill out the plate, but how do you fix the plate =
after=20
  every thing is done?=20

  Willem=20