how long?

Dale Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 08:27:37 -0500

TEAM2001 website: http://www.ptg.org/conv.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Tvak@AOL.COM
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 7:55 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: how long?

List,

Next week I will be attending my first PTG convention, having joined
this
year.  I joined the PTG because piano tuning has become a bigger part of
my
life (and income) and I seek to improve my skills.  I want to go full
time
and I have to admit that I have become impatient as of late with
progress
toward that goal.

I was spoiled last fall, when I had  6-10 tunings per week.  Finally, I
thought, it's starting to happen!  But this spring has been highly
disappointing:   5 tunings in March, 17 tunings in April, 10 in May, and
only
8 in June.  Past summers have been nearly clientless.  (2 or 3/month)

Now I know this question is unanswerable in any quantifiable or finite
manner, but how long does it take to build up a clientele to support
oneself?
 I noticed in the PTG survey that 33% of those surveyed earned less than
$33K
annually.  Are my expectations simply too high?

I should provide some details to my situation:  I've been listed in the
Yellow Pages for 3 years.

I do send out reminder cards when a year has passed, but response varies

greatly, it seems.

I have had evaluations by 4 different RPTs who were all very positive
about
my work.  (One hired me to assist him at peak times; another passed
several
clients to me and continues to send me referrals.)  Our chapter had
Associate
Tuning Evaluations in May, and the 2 RPTs assigned to me encouraged me
take the RPT exam, which I plan to take next year at the convention in
Chicago.  (I have to mention this because I don't think the quality of
my
work is the problem.  Not that I'm satisfied with myself... )

I work at a piano store one day a week where I do floor tunings and
preps,
but I didn't count floor tunings in my monthly totals.

So whaddyathink?  Am I just impatient?   How long does it take to build
up a
clientele to support one's self?

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate