Steinway Sostenuto

MBailey911@AOL.COM MBailey911@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 00:31:17 EDT

List -

I've just tried dealing with my first Steinway sostenuto - on a 1917 M that
was rebuilt about 10 years ago.  After a few hours of trying to get
everything all lined up and positioned just so, I'm still sitting here with a
dazed look on my face not really knowing what just happened - or didn't
happen as the case might be.  I had found an article on the CD ROM about
regulating the Steinway sostenuto, so thought (being able to read and turn
screwdrivers) that I should be able to follow directions and execute them.

After much tweaking, I think I understand just how finicky the thing is with
regard to all of the tabs being lined up both vertically and horizontally.
Also think I have the rod positioned properly at all of the section breaks.
All of the tabs engage when I first step on the sustain pedal and then the
sostenuto.    However, the rod still doesn't want to drop and reset
consistently.  Question - is there supposed to be anything attached to the
monkey that helps pull it back down, or is it supposed to move back down just
due to gravity?  If that's not it, I suppose there must be a tab or two
getting stuck - although I spent a considerable amount of time trying to
identify those and get them under control.

I had to leave the pedal disconnected and will need to go back again when I
have some new ideas (and when the bruises on my ego are healed).

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mary Bailey